The Do’s And Don’ts of Rhinoplasty Recovery
Conveniently located to serve the areas of Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Posted on January 31, 2023 under Rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty is a popular facial plastic surgery procedure to enhance their nose or address a functional issue. There are several benefits of rhinoplasty. It can give your nose a new shape, enhance the balance and harmony of facial features, improve breathing, and so much more.
The recovery period is one of the most vital aspects of the procedure. Recovery typically ranges from 7 to 10 days but depends on the individual. When recovering from the procedure, there are several rules to follow for a safe and successful recovery. Read on to learn more about few dos and don’ts of rhinoplasty recovery.
The Do’s and Don’ts of Rhinoplasty Recovery
A safe recovery is a top priority with any surgery. Here are a few things you should and shouldn’t do when recovering:
Things to Do
- Rest: Take at least a week off from work after surgery to rest. Discomfort and soreness is likely for the first few days but should resolve after a week post-operation.
- Hydrate: Drink at least 2 liters of water per day. Staying hydrated can reduce swelling from surgery.
- Sleep Appropriately: Be sure to sleep with your head elevated to reduce swelling.
- Follow-Up Appointments: Attend all scheduled follow-up doctor appointments to check in on your recovery process.
- Pain Medication: Take prescribed pain medication and always follow the instructions on the prescription.
- Keep Nose Moist: Ensure the inside of your nose remains moist by cleaning it with a saline spray.
Things Not to Do
- Engage in Strenuous Activity: Avoid engaging in any strenuous activities for at least two weeks after surgery. Your surgeon will let you know when you can return to certain activities.
- Ignore Complications: Don’t ignore any signs of surgery complications or infection. If you are experiencing any complications, contact us as soon as possible.
- Skip Follow-Up Appointments: Don’t neglect any follow-up appointments. These appointments are essential in tracking the progress of your recovery.
- Blow Your Nose: Avoid blowing your nose if possible for the first three weeks after surgery.
- Avoid Other Activities That Can Affect Recovery: Avoid other activities like eating spicy or salty foods, drinking alcohol, or smoking.
- Take Blood Thinning Medications: Avoid taking any medication or supplements that act as a blood thinner for at least two weeks after your procedure. Common blood thinning medications include ibuprofen, aspirin, and Gingko Biloba.
- Worry: Avoid worrying about your recovery. Recovering from surgery can be an uncomfortable and seemingly slow process. However, it’s essential to be patient. Anxiety can affect your recovery process just as much as engaging in strenuous activities.
Invest in Quality Rhinoplasty Surgery with Cosmetic Surgery Associates
If you are interested in learning more about rhinoplasty, contact Cosmetic Surgery Associates is located in Bethesda, Maryland. Dr. Richards, Dr. Jabs, and Dr. Magge are board-certified and fully-trained plastic surgeons dedicated to providing patients with state-of-the-art cosmetic procedures. Contact us today to learn more.
Our Plastic Surgery Associates team includes Dr. Franklin Richards, Dr. A. Dean Jabs, and Dr. Keshav Magge. Each of our plastic surgeons is board-certified, and together they have over 60 years of combined experience. Drs. Richards, Jabs, and Magge are all highly qualified in procedures for the face, breast, and body, and pride themselves in providing excellent results through our state-of-the-art, Quad A certified operating centers