How To Prepare For Cosmetic Surgery
Conveniently located to serve the areas of Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
In the days and weeks leading up to a much-anticipated cosmetic surgical procedure, you’re likely feeling a mix of emotions: excitement for the new look you’re going to achieve, but maybe nervousness about the procedure itself. A good way to take your mind off things is to take the necessary steps to prepare for both the surgery and your recovery time to ensure this process is smooth and enjoyable.
In your consultations with the board-certified plastic surgeons of Cosmetic Surgery Associates, it’s important to fill them in on all your medical history and medications so they can prepare a safe surgical plan for your unique needs. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Medications you are taking or plan to take throughout your recovery. Some ingredients can interact with anesthesia or impede your body’s ability to heal.
- Previous surgeries and how you recovered from them.
- Smoking or alcohol use in the weeks before and after surgery. Our surgeons will instruct you on what substances can be harmful during recovery.
Preparing Your Recovery Area
Depending on the extent of your chosen plastic surgery procedure, you will likely need several days of bedrest. To help keep you comfortable and healing properly, you should listen to your doctor’s instructions for how to sleep, bathe, and take care of your incision sites, especially in the days immediately following surgery. Other factors to get ready before the day of surgery are:
- Arranging for someone to drive you to and from our facilities and be with you overnight after the procedure.
- Filling prescriptions that will be needed after the operation.
- Packing a bag of personal items you might need before returning home.
- Purchasing garments and devices needed to heal properly, such as compression wraps or inclined pillows.
- Gathering entertainment options, like books, magazines, and a television to have close at hand in your recovery area.
Preparing for the Day of Surgery
When you arrive for your procedure, you won’t be empty-handed. Having the necessary documents and personal items is essential for a seamless surgical experience. This checklist should help ensure you don’t forget anything vital on the day of your cosmetic procedure.
- Remove credit cards and other non-essential valuables from your purse or wallet.
- Do not wear any jewelry.
- Bring a container to hold your eyeglasses or contact lenses as needed.
- Bring comfortable clothes to wear after the procedure.
- Arrive on-time and with your designated driver and caregiver.
Cosmetic Surgery in Maryland
With correct and thorough preparation, your cosmetic surgery will be a pleasant experience that will lead you through to an enhanced appearance of whatever procedure you’ve chosen. At Cosmetic Surgery Associates in Bethesda, MD, Dr. Jabs, Dr. Richards, and Dr. Magge are committed to creating as comfortable a surgical experience as possible from start to finish. To find out if a cosmetic surgery can help you achieve the look or figure of your dreams, call us at (301) 493-4334 or fill out our online contact form.